Monday 29 February 2016

The shell "Alphabet cone".

Back to sea life!
I always wanted to make some shell with elaborate shape - conch, may be, or nautilus... I was rather busy recently so put the idea aside for a long while. But last Friday visiting Leeds Felt Group exhibition I saw amazing small sculptures of various sea shells by Margaret Chalmers and it was the last drop! The very next day I got up early and by the night finished my first shell. Wisely I decided on the simplest shell shape possible! And here we are:

My first try on sea shells! This shell is "Alphabet cone".



I'm not very happy with a result but I've got an idea. If I'm to make a similar shell again I'd change:
- a resist, see picture below (make it narrow and long);
- the ridges to be more prominent;
- overall piece lighter in weight and firmer;
- the colours brighter with some pattern.
I do not think I'll repeat this particular shell but I will keep in mind all the point above when it come to the next one!

The picture of a resist:

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a great start. It looks very shell like on the first try so you've gotten a good beginning on which to build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth, I'll definitely try another one! They look so architectural!

      Delete
  2. I like your shell (though you're not satisfied I think ...)
    Wonderful learning to try again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Els! There is always room for improvement!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful Galina! And the resist, how do you figure that out... Something you have to do, I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You need to work out the resist's shape somehow... Just think it as a flat piece first and then imagine how it 'll change if it to become 3-D object. Like you could get a 3-d vessel from flat resist. It's the same just the shape is a bit more complicated...

      Delete